Top 10 self care essentials to uplift your life
Making the effort to include self care into your daily life can be difficult but is encouraged for physical and mental health. The last couple of years have been stressful with COVID, isolations and a work/life imbalance so it's time to prioritise you! Prioritising self care is not selfish but essential.
The benefits of self care can include increased energy and self awareness, mental focus, lowered stress levels, self control and the ability to care for others without draining ourselves.
Have a look at the list below and see how many self care recommendations you regularly practice.
1. Ensure you are getting adequate sleep. Typically an adult requires 7-9 hours of quality sleep a night. Turn off electronics at least an hour before bed and avoid stimulating drinks like coffee. Read a book or journal and sip on some calming tea such as chamomile or lavender. We recommend the organic range LOVE tea. For busy minds - keep a notebook next to your bed and write down your thoughts.
2. Keep hydrated - Drinking 2 litres of clean water a day can help increase energy, flush out toxins, improve mental focus, sleep quality, digestion and skin complexion. Try adding some slices of lemon or fresh mint for natural flavour.
3. Create downtime - This can be meditation, reading or just sitting outside with a cup of tea. When the mind is overstimulated our stress levels can rise and lead to burnout. Taking time out for yourself to relax is important for creating a healthy balance.
4. Exercise and stretch regularly - Making the effort to move your body daily also helps balance your mind. Regular exercise can be going to the gym, yoga, walking/running, group sports or just stretching at your desk.
5. Nourish your body with nutrient rich fruit & vegetables - As a Nutritionist I value the importance of feeding your body clean, healthy foods. Try a green smoothie for breakfast or carry a nut & seed mix for an afternoon snack.
6. Be kind to your inner voice - Speak kindly to yourself daily and avoid negative self-talk. We all make mistakes and have imperfections which is what makes us beautiful and unique. Forgive yourself for mistakes and learn from them to move forward. Choose a positive affirmation and repeat to yourself daily to help encourage a positive mindset. For example:
'My daily commitment to self care is not selfish' or
'I am free from others negative vibes'
7. Walk in nature or keep indoor plants - Exercising in nature can help to reduce stress, anxiety, improve immunity & memory and boost positivity. If you live in the city try walking to your local park. Keep plants inside to increase oxygen and negative ions in your home. Negative ions attach themselves to (and effectively remove) particles such as dust, mold spores, bacteria, and allergens.
8. Connect with others - Building positive relationships can help us deal with difficult situations and support us in achieving our goals. If you are feeling stressed or depressed reach out to someone (friend, family, colleague, helpline LifeLine, Beyond Blue).
9. Set life boundaries - Setting boundaries for yourself is essential to show others (friends, family, colleagues) how you want to be treated. It also sets limits for yourself so you know when you are likely to tip out of balance. Take some time to sit down and write down your boundaries for your work/life balance, prioritising self care and relationships. You can use an affirmation journal to help guide you through.
10. Be digitally mindful - Technology is becoming part of our daily lives and we are growing more dependent on it daily. Balance is the key and remember to have time out from iphones, computers and TV. Schedule in some digital detox time in the evenings and weekends.
Self care score:
If you practice more than 6 self care options daily - Amazing! I am sure you are feeling the benefits.
If you practice more than 3 self care options daily - well done! Try adding one more option tomorrow and see how it feels.
If you practice less than 2 self care options weekly - You may be feeling stressed and run down. Your self care is essential and granting permission to prioritize your health is valid. Choose one option on the list and start today. Even if it is for 5 minutes it is a great start. You've got this!
If you know someone that needs some encouragement to practice some more self care we have plenty of options to create your own care package. Here are some ideas for men and women:
- Affirmation journals
- Healthy snacks
- Relaxing herbal tea
- Aromatherapy essential oil rollers
- Aromatherapy candles
- Soft & comfortable slippers
- Heat pillows to ease aches and pains
- Magnesium bath salts to encourage relaxation
We also have options for kids care packages and gift ideas. Promote their creativity and relieve boredom with colouring books, card games and healthy treats.