A Chemo-Care Package
Is someone you care about going through chemotherapy? Sometimes it's hard to know how to help, but one idea is to give them a chemo-care package. Some patients were asked which gifts were most helpful and appreciated when they were going through chemotherapy, and they shared plenty of ideas, from practical to personal to pampering. Choose whatever feels right to show your love and support. Men can be particularly hard to shop for but Wishing You Well has you covered with a range of men gift packs specifically designed for them.
To give you some ideas take a close up look at what we like to include in our Wishing You Well Chemotherapy gift boxes. You can choose between our ready-made boxes: Chemo care RECOVERY, Chemo care MAXI, Chemo care MINI or you can create your very own special box. All of the products at Wishing You Well have been hand selected for their natural and therapeutic qualities.
On the practical side our top picks to include are:
Body care for sensitive skin:
- A high-quality, deep moisturising lotion and wash, to soothe sensitive/dry skin, that can be caused by some chemotherapy drugs. We love Moo Goo Skin Milk Udder Cream and milk wash as it easily soaks in to the skin and has skin repairing ingredients whilst also being non-greasy.
- A moisturising hand sanitiser to ward off infections carried on the hands is a great idea, Moo Goo Anti-Bacterial Hand Gel is non-alcohol based, so not drying like most hand sanitisers.
Drinks and snacks:
- Ginger is a well-known natural treatment for relieving nausea so we’ve got ginger chews and ginger shots by Gin Gins and Lemon Ginger & Manuka Honey tea by Pukka Tea - which all assist in reducing nausea and digestive upsets.
- Smoothie Bombs provide a great nutritional boost that are easy to digest. We love The Healer-Vanilla Hemp, The Lover-Super Berries and The Defender-Golden Chai. You just add fruit, liquid & blend!
- Coconut water to keep hydrated. Our Nakula Organic Coconut Water was voted the number one packaged coconut water in a blind taste test by the Australian Gourmet Traveller Magazine.
- Dark chocolate might be an option for the sweet tooth. We love Loving Earth mint dark choc as it’s made with Amazonico Criolla, certified organic cacao from Satipo, Peru and sweetened with organic evaporated coconut nectar. It’s 100% plant based, vegan, dairy free, gluten free, soy free, cane sugar free but still delicious!
- A good quality water bottle to keep hydrated is a thoughtful, practical and long lasting gift. Ever Eco have beautiful coloured stainless steel double insulated bottles that can keep beverages cold for up to 24 hours, perfect.
An Ice towel, as hot flushes are common with treatment. Our Watermate Ice Towel is eco friendly and specifically designed to keep you cool. You simply wet, shake and go.
- Colouring books and colouring pencils or cross words, Suduko or even magazines can reduce boredom in hospital and provide a calming distraction. A notebook can also be helpful for keeping records of important information from doctor appointments and general reminders as chemotherapy can create a foggy head.
On the pampering side we choose to include:
- Heat pillows can be used heated or cooled to relieve aches, pains, bruising or swelling. Perfect to keep warm in hospital air con and they can help to bring up veins for injections. Our beautiful LUXE Velvet heat pillows from Tonic Australia are filled with locally sourced lavender and barley. They’re a safe alternative to a hot water bottle.
- A beautiful eye mask or eye pillow can help with relaxation, especially if they’re in a noisy hospital type environment. Our gorgeous silk sleep masks from Goodnight Co’s Silk Sleep Mask are very gentle on the skin and help to retain your skin’s natural moisture.
- A new blanket, slippers or bathrobes are a nice touch and help keep warm and cozy especially in the hospital air-con. A beautiful throws from or fluffy waffle robes that suit men and women.
- Essential oils: Calming essential lavender oils can be used for its relaxing and healing qualities, and has been known to improve sleep and general wellbeing. We have some essential oil rollers with infused crystals from Summer Salt Body.
- Silk pillowcases can reduce the friction and irritation on your hair and scalp. The Goodnight Co.'s charcoal silk pillowcases are recommended by leading dermatologists. Sleeping on silk has a long list of benefits for your hair, skin and sleep patterns. Silk’s natural anti-absorbent qualities reduce moisture loss from your hair and skin, allowing your body to maintain hydration overnight. Silk is also naturally hypoallergenic and breathable, meaning it helps regulate your body temperature.
For the personal side:
As well as all these items being practical, useful and/or beneficial it also means a great deal to the recipient that you’ve thought of them. You can include a personalised note free with each gift box from Wishing You Well and rest assured that it is in the best hands with Kathy and her team. Designing your own box also lets you tailor the box for the recipient therefore making it more personal.
By Simone Duckmanton